Belfast Telegraph

Friday 29 August 2014

5 released without charge following violent clashes in Belfast

Police in the North are still questioning four people in connection with a disturbance in Belfast ahead of Northern Ireland's World Cup qualifier match with Poland.

Fireworks, bricks and bottles were thrown at police officers as rival football fans clashed before and after last night's game at Windsor Park.

Play was briefly halted when an object thrown from the crowd hit a linesman.

After the match, police in riot gear were pelted with fireworks, bricks and bottles - eleven of them were injured.

A number of homes in the area were attacked in what police said were racially motivated incidents.

Earlier in the day, nine people were arrested following trouble at a city centre pub.

Five of them have been released without charge.

The PSNI has condemned the violence and said CCTV footage is being examined to identify those responsible.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz