Belfast Telegraph

Monday 28 July 2014

Divers find sunken trawler 'Pere Charles' off Dunmore East

Navy divers have managed to locate the wreckage of one the trawlers, which sank off the south-east coast last week.

The 'Pere Charles' went down off Dunmore East with five hands on board.

The divers had been prevented from reaching the vessel because of dangerous sea conditions.

But lieutenant commander Terry Ward says bad weather has again stopped the underwater search - for the time being:

"They dived to about 10 metres beneath the surface," he said. "But unfortunately the swell made it impossible to go ahead with the dive. They'll stand by for the remainder of the day and hopefully if they get another chance they'll go out again."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz