Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 27 December 2014

No demands received after kidnapping of Irish aid worker

The Red Cross says it has received no demands following the kidnapping of an Irish aid worker in Ethiopia earlier this week.

Forty-one-year-old Sligo man Donal O'Suilleabhain and an Ethiopian colleague were abducted at gunpoint by an unidentified group while on a field trip last Monday.

Mr O'Suilleabhain, a hydro-geologist, had been working in the troubled south-east of the country since May.

The Irish Red Cross says it has been in touch with his captors and has been told he is safe and well.

However, it says no demands have been received and the reason for the kidnapping remains unclear.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz