Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Four missing after Red Sea dive

Three foreigners and an Egyptian were missing today after they went scuba diving in the Red Sea.

The Red Sea Association said one Egyptian guide, three Russians and a Dutch man began scuba diving on Saturday morning north of Marsa Alam, about 100 miles southeast of Cairo.

The boat accompanying them first reported the divers missing several hours later when they did not return to the boat after being at sea.

One of the Russian divers swam for several hours before reaching a village north of Marsa Alam and informed authorities that the other four divers were lost in an area with thick coral reef, the association said in a statement.

The missing are Egyptian scuba diving guide Mahmoud Ahmed Hamdan, a Russian man, a Russian woman and a Dutch man, the Red Sea Association said.

The diver who swam to shore, identified as Vladislav Lukyanchenko, said sharks appeared in the area where the team had been diving, the ministry said in a statement.

Ala'a Abdelkareem, an official with the Red Sea Association, said 16 boats, including several navy vessels, a helicopter and volunteer divers searched for the missing divers today but did not find them.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz