Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

N Korea floods death toll now reported to be at least 600

Floods that swept across North Korea earlier this month left at least 600 people dead or missing, the country's official news agency said - double the previously reported toll.

Citing North Korea's Central Statistics Bureau, the Korean Central News Agency reported that at least 600 people were dead or missing, and thousands more injured.

Earlier, international aid groups had put the toll at about 300 dead or missing.

KCNA said the heavy rains caused ``huge material losses'' to the country, ``creating unprecedented difficulties in people's living and economic construction''.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz