Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

North Korea carries out underground nuclear weapons test

North Korea is claiming to have carried out its controversial threat to conduct its first-ever nuclear weapons threat.

The isolated communist regime says it carried out a successful underground blast this morning in defiance of international warnings not to go ahead.

South Korean and US officials have confirmed that a tremor was felt at the time of the alleged test and that it was not a natural occurrence.

North Korea attracted worldwide condemnation last week when it said it was planning a nuclear test in response to "US hostility".

The matter is expected to be discussed today by the UN Security Council, with the US and Japan likely to push for further sanctions on Pyongyang.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz