Belfast Telegraph

Monday 22 September 2014

New Nato chief takes over in Afghanistan

The new commander of Nato-led troops in Afghanistan was installed in a

ceremony in Kabul today.

US General Dan McNeill replaced British General David Richards at the helm of

the 35,500 strong force at the time when the Western alliance braces for a

renewed fight with resurgent Taliban militants.

During his nine months as commander of Nato's International Security

Assistance Force, Richards oversaw the bloodiest year in Afghanistan since the

fall of the Taliban in 2001.

About 4,000 people died in insurgency-related violence in 2006.

"There was last year some scepticism about Nato," Richards said.

"Today that has gone, and I have no doubt that people of this country can

continue to confidently put their faith in the 37 nations of Nato's ISAF," he

said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz