Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 26 July 2014

Palestinian rocket attacks continue despite truce agreement

Two major Palestinian militant groups said they will have no intention of stopping their attacks

against Israel despite the cease fire deal agreed this morning.

The ongoing rocket attacks by Hamas and Islamic Jihad tempered hopes for a

lasting truce, which was meant to end five months of deadly clashes.

The rockets have landed in open fields so far and caused no injuries.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met with his security chiefs and ordered

them to send their forces to the Gaza border area by early afternoon to prevent

further rocket attacks, according to Palestinian security officials.

Lt. Gen. Abdel Razek Almajaydeh, an Abbas security adviser, said the security

forces had almost finished deploying.

``The instructions are clear. Anyone violating the national agreement will be

considered to be breaking the law,'' he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz