Christmas turkeys saved from fire
Published 10/12/2012 | 13:02
Around 100 turkeys destined for the Christmas dinner table have been rescued from a huge barn fire.
The birds were plucked from the inferno in Jubilee Road, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, shortly after 4.30am on Monday.
The blaze is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the barn.
Fire station commander Dave Pike said the turkeys, which had been sleeping in a section of the barn near hay bales and agricultural machinery, were all safely accounted for.
But he said their brush with death was unlikely to spare them from their imminent slaughter.
He said: "I understand the birds had been readied for Christmas, and I don't think this morning's incident is really going to change that.
"They were corralled to a safe place elsewhere on the farm, and all are doing fine. But, as I understand it, they are still due to be slaughtered."
Initially two fire appliances from Cinderford community fire station were sent to the scene with a total of 12 firefighters, but further crews were called as the blaze took hold.
The fire service said the barn contained 50 tons of hay, one tractor and one combine harvester, all severely damaged in the blaze. There were no injuries.
Mr Pike added: "We get called to farm fires from time to time, and usually we deal with pigs and sheep suffering from the effects of fire. It was slightly unusual for us to deal with turkeys, but the crews did a bootiful (sic) job."