Belfast Telegraph

Friday 19 September 2014

Crews rescue boy wedged in chimney

A teenage boy became stuck in a chimney in Carluke, North Lanarkshire

A teenager had to be rescued by the fire service after falling down a chimney.

The 14-year-old boy became stuck in the seven-metre chimney on a commercial building in Carluke, North Lanarkshire.

Rescuers had to use specialist equipment to take apart the chimney brick by brick to reach the boy, who it is understood, received only minor injuries.

It was not clear how he came to fall down the chimney of the single-storey building in Cassels Street at around 5.15pm on Wednesday.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "This was a delicate operation which had to be carried out carefully and methodically with hand tools and specialist rescue equipment to prevent any further injury to the youth and to ensure that the stability of the building was not compromised."

The boy was taken to hospital as a precaution, the spokesman said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz