Belfast Telegraph

Friday 22 August 2014

Man banned for no-hands driving

A man was banned from driving after travelling at 60mph with no hands on the steering wheel, Scarborough Magistrates' Court heard.

A man has been banned from driving after he was videoed by police driving with no hands at 60mph.

Richard Newton, from Whitby, was filmed by a police camera with both hands on his head as he continued along the busy road for 25 seconds.

The 36-year-old was today convicted of dangerous driving and handed a 12 month ban at Scarborough Magistrates' Court.

He was also fined a total of £685 and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

The police said he committed the offence on the A171 near Scaling Dam reservoir at around 6.20pm on Friday, August 9, last year and said a number of vehicles passed him on the opposite side of the road.

Dave Brown, from North Yorkshire Police's Mobile Safety Camera Team, said: "This case demonstrates two things, one is the sheer stupidity of some people who put others in danger, and the other is the ability of our safety camera to capture a range of offences.

"This is yet another case which shows that these cameras are about safety and not just speeding. We will take action against all manner of offences to ensure we keep our roads as safe as possible for everyone."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz