Man 'swallowed diamond at gem show'
Published 05/09/2012 | 10:02
Police in Sri Lanka say they have arrested a man who swallowed a diamond worth more than £8,000 at a gem and jewellery exhibition.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said Chou Wan swallowed the gem while examining diamonds at a stall during the opening day of the exhibition in the Sri Lankan capital Colombo on Wednesday.
Mr Rohana said the owner of the stall complained to police after seeing Chou swallow the diamond, which was worth 1.8 million Sri Lankan rupees (£8,609).
Rohana said Chou, a 32-year-old Chinese national, is in custody pending further investigation.
Sri Lanka has long been renowned for its highly treasured gems.