A 25-year-old man has undergone a three-hour operation to remove a screwdriver lodged about five centimetres into his head, doctors in Poland have said.
Dr Jan Kochanowicz, one of the doctors who treated the man in the city of Bialystok, said the man apparently fell and lost consciousness, but does not remember that.
When he regained consciousness he was at first aware only of pain in a hand before realising something else was wrong. He walked to his car, looked in a mirror and noticed the screwdriver, penetrating his forehead just above his right eye.
Dr Kochanowicz told the station TVN24 the man smoked a cigarette before calling a neighbour who got him to the hospital.
The screwdriver did not damage the man's eyes or brain.