Belfast Telegraph

Friday 22 August 2014

Pot cake student in brief coma

A Spanish student went into a coma after eating a birthday cake baked with marijuana

A university student went into a brief coma after eating a birthday cake baked with marijuana, and 10 others became seriously ill, officials in Spain said.

Javier Chivite, a spokesman for Madrid's emergency services, said two youths were taken to hospital early on Sunday.

He said one of them was comatose and not responding to stimulus when admitted, but later recovered.

Jose Dominguez de Posada, dean of Madrid's Alfonso X University, said the students were all male and aged between 18 and 22 and the most affected was studying veterinary sciences.

Mr Chivite said the others were found to be suffering from euphoria, red eyes and irregular heartbeat.

Mr Dominguez de Posada said the university campus houses about 12,000 students.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz