Belfast Telegraph

Home Business Brexit

Northern Ireland companies take on staff to deal with Brexit

By John Mulgrew

Two-thirds of company bosses in Northern Ireland are planning to recruit new "specialist" staff to deal with political risks such as Brexit.

The survey of chief executives here, by KPMG, has also found that 84% expect major disruption in their sector as a result of technological innovation.

Around 80% say political uncertainty is having a greater impact than previously seen.

The survey also shows that almost all chief executives see investment in cyber-security as "an opportunity to find new revenue streams and innovate, rather than as an overhead cost".

But just 20% that their firm was "fully prepared for a cyber event", with the remaining 80% claiming to be "somewhat prepared".

Johnny Hanna, who is head of tax at KPMG in Belfast, said: "Many Northern Ireland chief executives are frustrated that there is currently no coherent plan in relation to NI and Brexit.

"However, it is encouraging to note respondents' 'getting on with business' approach to current uncertainties, with many anticipating opportunities from Brexit as well as challenges," Mr Hanna added.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph