Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 2 October 2014

Company Snapshot: Northwest Bookmakers Ltd

Bookmakers betting on solid future

Northwest Bookmakers is a subsidiary of Ladbrokes Holdings (NI) which is, in turn, a subsidiary of the parent company Ladbroke plc. Following a purchase in 2007, this business has brought together the betting businesses formerly owned by Eastwoods and McCartans.

As a result of the expanded investment, during 2008, Northwest Bookmakers added intangible assets (business licences and goodwill) valued at £124m to its balance sheet. The purchase was financed by registering a credit with the parent company which, at the end on 2010, was owed nearly £128m.

The company, using the Ladbrokes brand, ultimately expects to continue to expand its presence in Northern Ireland. The company owns 24% of the shop betting licences issued here. However, the directors do not foresee further consolidation in the current economic environment.

In a reflection on the impact of the current recession, the company reports that in 2010 the average stake per betting slip was £9.22. This compares with an average stake of £9.33 in 2009 which was also down by 33p on the 2008 figure. The value of an average betting slip was therefore down by 4% in two years. However, total turnover was up by 11% so that the number of customers had risen by about 15% since 2008.

Comparisons of profitability in recent years are made more complex by a reversal in 2009 of an impairment charge of over £380,000 which had been deducted from the profit figures in 2008 and then in 2010 by the deduction of an exceptional charge of £1.97m related to pension funds.

Operating profit in 2009 was just under 3% of turnover, compared to 4% a year earlier. In 2010, the ratio of operating profit to turnover improved again to 3.6%.

Employment in the company fell fractionally in 2010 to an average of 457 people.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Comment

More

Company Profiles

More

Help & Advice

More

People on the move

More