Pharmaceutical firm Almac is celebrating after last night being named Outstanding Business of the Year at the 2011 Belfast Telegraph Northern Ireland Business Awards in association with British Midland International (bmi).
The awards ceremony was held at the Ramada Plaza Hotel at Shaw’s Bridge and had a Casablanca theme to mark bmi's recently launched route to the Moroccan city. The judging panel, chaired by leading economist Professor John Simpson, was impressed by how the company has gone from strength to strength in recent years to become a world-class player in advanced medical sciences.
Almac, which has its headquarters in Craigavon, also took the title of Outstanding Business Team of the Year and was |commended in two categories, Excellence in Exporting and |Outstanding Service to Business.
Andor had a double success on the night as its chief executive Conor Walsh picked up the title of Business Person of the Year, a new category for 2011, as well as taking home the trophy for Excellence in Exporting. The Ulster Museum, Autoline Group, Finnebrogue, |McGrigors LLP, HeartSine Technologies and Specialist Joinery Group were also category winners while Philip Bain from Shredbank took the title of Young Business Person of the Year.
Now in its 11th year, the Belfast Telegraph Business Awards received a record number of entries, with the Small/Medium Business category attracting the most entrants. Chair of the judges John Simpson said: “The judges were impressed both by |the achievements of different|businesses in their specialist fields and also by the range of expertise.”
Category sponsors at this year’s awards were Moy Park, Progressive Building Society, Northern Bank, Made Not Born, Invest NI, Bibby Financial Services, Cleaver Fulton Rankin Solicitors and Yell.
1. Outstanding Business Team of the Year, sponsored by Moy Park
Commended: Autoline, Latens
2. Excellence in Marketing, sponsored by Progressive
Winner: Ulster Museum
Commended: Wilson's Country,
3. Excellence in Exporting, sponsored by Northern Bank
Winner: Andor Technology
Commended: Almac, B/E Aerospace
4. Excellence in Development of Management and Leadership, sponsored by Made Not Born
Winner: Autoline Group
Commended: G4S, Grafton Employment Group
5. Excellence in Innovation, sponsored by Invest NI
Commended: Intune Networks
Kingspan Renewables, Mash Direct
6. Outstanding Service to |Business
Winner: McGrigors LLP
Commended: Almac, South Eastern Regional College
7. Young Business Person of the Year, sponsored by Bibby Financial Services
Winner: Philip Bain, |Shredbank
Commended: Conor Guy, Envirogreen Recycling, Johann Muldoon, Manor Architects.
8. Excellence in Technology, sponsored by Cleaver Fulton Rankin
Winner: Heartsine |Technologies
Commended: Andor Technology
9. Best Small-Medium Business, sponsored by Yell
Winner: Specialist Joinery Group
Commended: Finnebrogue, Employers for Childcare Vouchers
10. Business Person of the year, sponsored by bmi
Winner: Conor Walsh, Andor
11. Outstanding Business of the year, sponsored by bmi