Belfast restaurant Bengal Brasserie has been fined £1,750 for a string of food hygiene offences.
Mizanur Rahman, who runs the Bengal Brasserie on the Ormeau Road, was also ordered to pay costs of £69 in relation to six separate hygiene offences detected on February 10, 2010 and April 16, 2010.
The prosecution was taken by Belfast City Council following a routine inspection of the premises on February 10, 2010.
A number of breaches of food hygiene regulations were detected relating to cigarette butts being found in the bases of some staff lockers, and cooked meat being stored in a fridge that wasn’t working properly.
In addition, the floors were dirty and the kitchen wall couldn’t be adequately cleaned due to exposed cement plaster. Food was not protected from contamination, and raw chicken was being prepared on a worktop below where uncovered cooked meat was stored. The same worktop was being used to prepare salad and vegetables.
Poor hygiene practices were observed with some food preparation being carried out in an unsuitable area.
Officers also noticed cloths and chefs’ aprons being dried over dirty railings in the emergency exit stairwell to the rear of the premises.
Council officers confirmed to the court that food hygiene standards at the restaurant have subsequently improved to their satisfaction.