BA still leads way for all travel needs
BRITISH Airways is the overall sponsor of the Belfast Telegraph Business Awards 2014. Partnership manager Brenda Morgan explains how they're improving the passenger experience in NI.
At British Airways we constantly strive to ensure that our passengers from Northern Ireland experience a top-class travelling experience. Currently, customers can benefit from up to six flights a day from Belfast into London Heathrow as well as excellent connectivity to our worldwide offering of over 130 destinations.
The Belfast to London Heathrow service continues to be a key route for British Airways and provides a vital airlink for business and leisure travellers on both long-haul and short-haul journeys.
With over 90 years' expertise in serving customers and catering for their needs, British Airways understands the extensive travel requirements of our passengers. Therefore, it is of paramount importance that we continue to lead the way in delivering a premium experience for customers.
Two weeks ago, we were delighted that Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways' parent company International Airlines Group, unveiled our new £300,000 business lounge at Belfast City Airport.
The new lounge forms part of British Airways' £5bn investment programme to make our customers' travelling experience more comfortable both on the ground as well as in the air.
The investment in the British Airways lounge continues to reaffirm our commitment to the Belfast operation within the global network. We want to lead the way in customer service excellence and the new lounge plays a critical role in delivering this service to our Northern Ireland customers.
The lounge is available to all passengers with fully flexible tickets as well as British Airways Executive Gold and Silver members and oneworld flyers with Emerald and Sapphire status. Passengers can experience panoramic views of the airfield and easy boarding onto the aircraft as the lounge is directly adjacent to Door A.
Features of our British Airways lounge include 87 comfortable seats, a dedicated work zone, complimentary wi-fi, new 'air' print technology enabling customers to print from their mobile devices as well as televisions and a choice of newspapers and magazines.
We also offer passengers a full complimentary bar and an extensive choice of food, with a menu that changes throughout the day.
In addition, we were very pleased to announce that flights from Belfast City Airport will be operating into British Airways' flagship Heathrow home at Terminal 5 from October this year. The current schedule has been flying into Terminal 1 since the route started in June 2012. The move is expected to cut minimum connection times for Northern Ireland passengers to onward British Airways flights from Terminal 5 by 30 minutes, to just one hour. This will allow our customers to benefit from quicker and smoother connections to their long-haul and European destinations without having to transfer between terminals.
We are delighted with these new developments, which will improve the travelling experience of our passengers from Northern Ireland and will strive to continue to provide the highest possible levels of customer service to meet our customers' needs.
DID YOU KNOW...
- Terminal 5 was created with the basic premise of making air travel easy through one of the world's busiest airport hubs -- London Heathrow
- Terminal 5 is exclusively used by International Airlines Group members British Airways and Iberia
- Terminal 5 cost £4.3bn and British Airways invested £330m in designing and equipping its parts of the terminal
- Skytrax has named Terminal 5 as the World's Best Airport Terminal for the second year running, based on a survey of 12m frequent travellers
- Up to 90% of transfer passengers will connect within Terminal 5 thereby reducing the time it takes to move from flight to flight
- British Airways has free apps available for Android, Blackberry and Windows mobile phone users. Customers can check-in to flights, retrieve boarding passes and access the Executive Club through the app
- British Airways has started a pioneering new trial to produce a solution for speedier check-in by testing personalised digital luggage tags that could replace the need for paper tags to be used on checked in baggage with the simple swipe of a Smartphone app
- Last year, British Airways became the first UK airline to allow customers on long-haul services to watch in-flight entertainment from the moment they board their aircraft until it arrives at its destination
- British Airways has become the first airline in Europe to allow passengers to keep hand-held electronic devices such as mobile phones and iPads switched on from the moment passengers enter the plane until they leave, provided they are kept on 'flightmode'