Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 27 December 2014

Construction worker on blacklist, says union

Only one construction worker in Northern Ireland out of 3,200 across the UK has been blacklisted, according to the GMB union.

A map showing the full extent of the "scandal" of workers blacklisted in the construction industry was drawn up as part of a campaign for compensation.

The GMB union said it hoped its map would help identify the 3,200 workers whose names were on the list, which was drawn up by the Consulting Association.

The existence of the list was revealed after a raid by the Information Commissioner's Office in 2009, which led to the Consulting Association being closed down.

MPs on the Scottish Affairs Committee have launched an inquiry into blacklisting, and the issue was debated last week in the Commons.

Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna said what had happened was "nothing short of a national scandal".

Unions claimed workers' names were included if they had raised health and safety issues, or were union activists, and it denied them future employment.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Comment

More

Company Profiles

More

Help & Advice

More

People on the move

More