Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Hundreds of messages of support as family hotel in Northern Ireland goes into administration

By Rebecca Black

Published 27/07/2016

The Curran Court Hotel has been in operation for more than 40 years,
The Curran Court Hotel has been in operation for more than 40 years,
The Curran Court Hotel has been in operation for more than 40 years,
The Curran Court Hotel has been in operation for more than 40 years,
The Curran Court Hotel has gone into administration

A well-known family hotel in Northern Ireland has been placed into administration.

The Curran Court Hotel has been in operation for more than 40 years, initially on the Curran Road in the town before moving to its current location on Redlands Road.

A new buyer is currently being sought for the business.

A spokesman for the hotel said it had been placed into administration, but added that it remains "business as usual" in the meantime.

The administration is being handled by Belfast finance firm Ernst and Young (EY).

A spokesman confirmed: "It is business as usual as administrative receivers review operations."

The Curran Court is owned by local businessman Crawford Leitch who also has an interest in The Bodega bar in Larne.

It is located closed to the Port of Larne and describes itself as a long-established family run hotel offering 33 en-suite bedrooms. It first opened for business on the Curran Road in 1975, and has attracted generally positive reviews on the website Trip Advisor.

One patron who contacted the Belfast Telegraph claimed that while visiting the hotel yesterday she was told she could not use vouchers she had received as a gift to pay for her meal, and was also told the hotel was going into administration.

She said that staff seemed shocked by the news, adding that she hoped the hotel will remain open.

The hotel later clarified on Facebook that gift vouchers could be used.

They said: "Thank you for all your positive comments. There has been some confusion around gift vouchers, just to confirm we continue to accept gift vouchers and to trade as normal. We appreciate your continued custom."

Hundreds of customers posted messages of support on social media, praising the food and staff at the hotel.

"Can't believe this news," one post said, "We travel over 30 miles to eat and stay here. Food is excellent and accommodation second to none and best of all the staff are excellent. Nothing is a problem to them - they always go the extra mile to make sure you're looked after. Hope a buyer is found and the staff stay the same as they are the heart of this hotel."

Doreen Wilson added: "Absolute devastating news. Hopefully a new buyer will be found and the hotel run as it is now. Thinking of all the amazing staff and those others business who will be effected by this if the hotel does close and also the worry they will have in the interim period during this uncertain time."

Margaret Wolde said: "Can't believe it. Where will I go for my Sunday lunch. Very bad news."

Earlier this year the Balmoral Hotel in west Belfast was placed in administration.

Accountants from KPMG said it was "business as usual" after they were appointed to run Balmoral Hotel on Blacks Road.

Meanwhile, last year Belfast city centre boutique hotel Ten Square went into administration.

It opened in Donegall Square South in 2000 and eight years later was bought by property developer John Miskelly.

Ten Square was sold to property developer Paddy Kearney for slightly more than £6m last December.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph