Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Italian restaurant to create 20 new roles

An Italian restaurant is set to open in Belfast's Victoria Square in March with the creation of 20 new jobs.

The opening of Prezzo on the site of the former La Tasca restaurant means that all 20 of the shopping centre's restaurant units will be occupied.

The Essex-based company, with more than 200 restaurants in Great Britain, is spending around £550,000 redeveloping the site.

Chief executive Jonathan Kaye said: "We are looking forward to opening our first restaurant in Northern Ireland.

"We are confident it will prove popular and be an asset to the social scene in Belfast."

Meanwhile, Treat Boutique dessert house has just opened on the upper ground floor in the centre, creating six jobs.

Owner, Shivani Robinson of R-amp;S Desserts, sells cupcakes, afternoon tea, wedding cakes and gift jar cookie mixes, alongside other Northern Ireland produce.

"We've taken a risk making the leap to a unit," Ms Shivani said.

"But I've built my reputation on good quality ingredients and the location is great."

Victoria Square manager, Hugh Black, said its coffee shops and restaurants are trading seven days a week and all doing well.

"In the current climate the majority are trading up on last year," he said. We targeted the evening economy and that has come to fruition."

University of Ulster retail expert, Donald McFetridge, said consumers see shopping as part of the wider leisure experience.

"I think the secret of the success in Victoria Square is down to variety with a wide range of dining experiences at prices to meet all, or most, pockets," he said.

"When consumers go shopping they want to combine this with a meal or dining experience to complement the retail side of their expedition."

Belfast Telegraph food critic Joris Minne added: "Food can be treated as a cultural experience as much as a retail leisure act. What Victoria Square does is good and popular, so I hope it works out."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Comment

More

Company Profiles

More

Help & Advice

More

People on the move

More