Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

LSE back in merger talks with Germans

By Holly Williams

Published 24/02/2016

The London Stock Exchange is in talks over a possible £20bn merger with Germany's Deutsche Boerse to create one of the biggest exchange companies in the world.

It marks the latest attempt by the pair to join forces after a proposed deal collapsed in 2000, and then again in 2004-5.

Shares in FTSE 100-listed LSE jumped as much as 17% after it confirmed "detailed discussions" were taking place over a possible all-share merger.

The LSE said it would be a "merger of equals", forming an enlarged group that would rival the likes of CME Group and Intercontinental Exchange in the US and Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing, which is the world's largest exchanges group.

Latest talks between the two come nearly 16 years after LSE and Deutsche Boerse first sought to strike a deal.

The LSE said it is working on plans that would see LSE shareholders hold 45.6% of the combined group and Deutsche Boerse the remaining 54.4%.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph