Belfast Telegraph

Friday 11 July 2014

Mobile giant Nokia recalls danger threat chargers

Mobile phone maker Nokia recalled 14 million potentially dangerous chargers today.





The chargers, bearing Nokia's name and made by Chinese battery and car part maker BYD, are models AC-3E and AC-3U, made between June 15 and August 9 this year; and AC-4U, made between April 13 and October 25, 2009. They were mostly sold in Europe and North America.

Nokia said the chargers' plastic covers might work loose and expose wiring, which could cause an electric shock if touched if the charger is plugged into a socket. It said it had received no reports of injuries or accidents related to the chargers.

Nokia is the world's largest mobile phone maker with an estimated 38% global market share of all mobile devices. In the third quarter it sold 108.5 million units.

Based in Espoo near the Finnish capital, it sold 468 million handsets last year, up 7% on 2007.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk