More misery for Southern Railway commuters amid latest 'rock-solid' RMT strike
The latest strike by workers on Southern Railway is being "solidly supported", causing fresh travel misery for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union are staging a 48-hour walkout in the long-running dispute over the role of conductors.
Picket lines were mounted outside stations and the union said it continued to receive support from the public.
Southern is planning to run 61% of its normal timetable and said more services will be available compared with previous strikes.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "Despite all of the dirty tricks from the company, RMT can confirm that the strike action is rock-solid and determined again this morning across the Southern Rail network as we fight to put rail safety and access before the profits of the failed Govia Thameslink operation.
"The resilience and solidarity of our members remains undiminished despite the threats and bullying thrown at them by GTR (Southern's owners).
"The sheer pig-headedness of the company and the Government means that our members are being forced to take further industrial action this week in a bid to maintain a safe and secure service on Southern Rail.
"The blame for today's disruption is wholly down to GTR and Chris Grayling (Transport Secretary)."
Southern said first-class carriages had been declassified across all its services on Tuesday, telling ticket-holders they can claim back the difference.