Northern Ireland entrepreneurs urged to enter major competition
Businesspeople eager to follow in the footsteps of captains of industry like Jack Dobson and Dr Peter FitzGerald have been urged to enter a major competition.
First Minister Arlene Foster and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness today called for entrepreneurs from Northern Ireland to enter the EY Entrepreneur of the Year Programme.
Previous all-Ireland winners from the province include Brian Conlon of First Derivatives and Dr FitzGerald of Randox, while Mr Dobson of meat firm Dunbia was a category winner last year.
The First Minister said: "Northern Ireland has a track record for excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship.
"I am confident the EY Entrepreneur of The Year programme will inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs to make the most of the opportunities available."
The programme is divided into three categories - emerging, industry and international, with eight finalists in every category.
And 24 finalists will be picked by an independent panel of judges, before an all-island final in October.
The winner of the Ireland competition goes forward to represent Ireland in a global final in Monte Carlo.
Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said: "Entrepreneurial skills and expertise are essential for continues economic progress. Entrepreneurs are the fuel that drives the economy and I commend EY for the Entrepreneur Of The Year 2016 programme which rightly celebrates and recognises their achievements."
Entries to the competition must be made before the deadline of February 29.