Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Planned Tube strikes over job cuts suspended

Planned strikes by London Underground workers from Sunday evening over jobs have been suspended.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union were due to walk out for 16 hours from 6pm on Sunday and again for 15 hours from 10am on Tuesday, threatening travel chaos in the capital.

The RMT said that following talks with the company, almost 60% of the original job cuts have now been reversed.

Station staff jobs were cut by around 900 and Tube ticket offices closed under previous London mayor Boris Johnson.

The RMT said its campaign, including industrial action, had led to 533 jobs being reinstated, and control rooms being reopened.

General secretary Mick Cash said: " The fighting stance taken by RMT members since the jobs cull on our Tube stations was first announced has reversed nearly 60% of those savage cuts.

"That is a tremendous victory and a reflection of the resilience and determination of our reps and the membership right across London Underground.

"We will now continue to work on implementation of the new staffing arrangements at the local level and, as always, RMT remains eternally vigilant."

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "Like all commuters in London I'm delighted that we have been able to get the Tube strikes suspended - it shows what we can achieve by talking and engaging with staff.

"This is an excellent deal that will ensure commuters get the service they need at Underground stations, and it will fix the mess created by the previous mayor."

The Mayor's office said an agreement had been made between Transport for London, the RMT and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) for an additional 325 members of staff, of whom 200 will be full time.

Acas deputy chief conciliator John Woods said: "Acas would like to thank the teams of London Underground, RMT and TSSA for their patience and perseverance these past six weeks in helping resolve this very complex dispute."

Steve Griffiths, chief operating officer for London Underground, said: "We are pleased to have reached an agreement with both unions and we welcome the RMT's decision to suspend the strike action planned for next week.

"We agree that we need more staff in our stations and we will be recruiting at least 650 new station staff this year, of which 325 will be additional new roles.

"The remainder will comprise supervisor and customer service assistant roles and are expected to be a mix of both full time and part time.

"We will continue working with the unions as well as implementing the independent recommendations made by the London TravelWatch review to help meet the needs of our customers and to ensure they feel safe, fully supported and able to access the right assistance at all times."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph