Belfast Telegraph

Monday 29 December 2014

Armed children robbed invalid

A woman in her early 50s is unhurt but extremely shaken after being robbed in Holywood last week by a group of up to five youths.



The youths, thought to be around 12 years old approached the woman and asked for a go on her mobility scooter at Abbey Ring last Tuesday (March 15).

When she refused one of the youths produced a knife and demanded money from her, taking money from her purse.

Two of the youths took her scooter and were stopped by a passing driver. They then fled the scene.

North Down MLA Alex Easton said he was “appalled and sickened” about the incident.

“I appeal to anyone with information in relation to this horrific crime to bring it forward to the PSNI immediately.

“Those responsible should be utterly ashamed of themselves and should hand themselves over to the PSNI immediately. Their actions were sick and disturbing, especially on a woman who was visibly vulnerable.

“No one, disabled, elderly or young, should be subject to this sort of activity in their home town never mind anywhere,” he said .

Peter Weir, DUP MLA, added: “This is a stark reminder of the dangers of the development of a knife culture and the need to ensure that it is not tolerated in Northern Ireland.

“It is important that anyone who has any information should immediately go to the police in Holywood. However, this is not just about a police or justice response, there is a key responsibility on families. It is time for all parents to step up to the mark, take responsibility and ensure that the small minority of children engaged in these activities are controlled.”

Holywood councillor Alderman Gordon Dunne said: “This sort of anti-social behaviour is totally unacceptable and I also would appeal to parents to act responsibly to ensure they know where their children are and what they are up to. It also re-emphasises the importance of having a visible police presence in the area to keep Holywood’s streets safer.”

A PSNI spokesperson said: “Detectives are keen to speak to anyone who witnessed the incident and especially the man who assisted the lady. Anyone with information can contact Bangor CID on 0845 600 8000.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz