Fourteen people from across North Down and Ards have been named in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2009.
Eleven MBEs, two OBEs and one CBE were awarded to a range of people across a wide social spectrum, including North Down councillor Alderman Ellie McKay.
Alderman McKay receives an MBE for services to local government in Northern Ireland.
Other MBE recipients include:
- Frank Caddy, from Holywood, for services to community transport in Northern Ireland;
- Elizabeth Hamilton, from Newtownards, for voluntary service to older people in Ballygowan;
- Richard Holmes, from Holywood, for services to the community in Northern Ireland and Romania;
- Thomas Kerr, from Holywood, for services to the arts in Northern Ireland;
- Jacqueline King, from Newtownards, for services to people with eating disorders in Northern Ireland;
- Archibald McAvoy, from Newtownards, for services to health and safety in Northern Ireland;
- Anne-Marie McClure, chief executive of Opportunity Youth from Newtownards, for services to youth in Northern Ireland;
- Deane Wieland Morrice, from Newtownards, for services to local government;
- Gordon Reilly, district manager of Northern Ireland Housing Executive from Newtownards, for services to social housing;
- Edmond Wilson, from Bangor, for services to athletics in Northern Ireland.
The remaining recipients were Christopher Chivers (CBE), from Donaghadee and lately chief inspector of Criminal Justice, for services to the administration of justice in Northern Ireland; Alan Henry (OBE), from Newtownards, for public service; and Morrison McAllister (OBE), from Newtownards.