Belfast Telegraph

Friday 30 January 2015

Village regeneration plan receives 116 objections

Some residents believe that regeneration plans for the Village don't go far enough (Picture by Paul Faith/PA Wire)
EMBARGOED TO 11.30AM TUESDAY FEBRUARY 26, 2008.The Village area of South Belfast, as a new vision for tackling Northern Ireland's housing crisis will today be unveiled by Stormont minister Margaret Ritchie. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday February 26, 2008. The nationalist SDLP Social Development Minister will brief Assembly members on her plans to build more social homes and help more people get on the property ladder through co-ownership schemes. See PA story ULSTER Housing. Photo credit should read: Paul Faith/PA Wire

The Housing Executive has revealed it has received 116 objections to the £100 million regeneration plans for the Village area of south Belfast.

And it said around two-thirds of those objections would like to see the redevelopment area expanded.

The Village was declared an ‘Urban Renewal Area’ (URA) in May 2008, triggering £100m of regeneration money which will see 580 homes (comprising of a 40 percent block area of the URA) knocked down and replaced with around 270 new-build homes. The remaining 60 percent of the URA (730 houses) are to be “significantly improved”.

Last week the Department for Social Development confirmed a public inquiry is to take place to address concerns about the plans.

The announcement came after a long-running campaign by a group representing homeowners in the area — the Blackstaff Residents’ Association — who feel that they were not properly consulted about the plans.

The Blackstaff Residents’ Association is concerned that “perfectly good houses” within the URA development zone are being “blocked-up” as part of the regeneration plans, while other houses will be vested and knocked down, forcing many elderly residents into temporary accommodation.

But Paula Bradshaw, director of the Greater Village Regeneration Trust, said: “It isn't just one group in the Village that is calling for a public inquiry. A number of people have raised concerns with the Housing Executive — some because they didn't think the regeneration plan went far enough.”

Billy Dickson from the Blackstaff Residents' Association said: “It would be interesting to see how many of those objections came from the streets that are affected (by the regeneration plans).

“I believe the majority of people living on these streets don't want full redevelopment.

“But regardless of the objection letters for or against redevelopment, the fact is that at a public inquiry the case for full redevelopment will be put across and the case for other alternatives will be put across.”

A NIHE spokeswoman said: “The Housing Executive can confirm that 116 objections have been received in relation to the notice of application to vest (homes) in the village area.

“Approximately two-thirds of these would like to see the redevelopment area expanded whilst the other third do not want redevelopment.

“The majority of objections have been received from people living in the proposed redevelopment area or proposed improvement area. The remaining objections have been received from people living within the wider Village area.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz