Belfast Telegraph

Friday 31 October 2014

Police probe 'death threat' made during Windsor game

Cliftonville goalkeeper Conor Devlin
Cliftonville striker Liam Boyce

Police are investigating allegations that death threats were issued to two senior Cliftonville FC members at the Irish league game at Windsor Park last weekend.

Liam Boyce and Conor Devlin were spectators in the South Stand as guests of a senior Linfield player as Linfield played Glentoran.

The pair had to be escorted from the ground by police after they allegedly received sectarian abuse and a death threat from one individual.

The PSNI said that they removed a 19-year-old male from the ground for sectarian chanting, while a 29-year-old man was cautioned for sectarian chanting following an incident involving two other males.

Recently new legislation linked to football matches has been introduced to tackle anti-social behaviour. Both men have now been reported to the Public Prosecution Service and police enquiries are continuing.

Striker Liam Boyce, who has one international cap for Northern Ireland, told his Twitter followers that he and Conor Devlin had been enjoying "banter" between the fans and themselves but "there's always one to ruin it".

He later went on to say that the man had threatened to "cut your throats" while the game was still going on.

A Linfield spokesperson said that they would be making no comment on the matter while a representative of Cliftonville said that it was not a club related matter.

Area Commander for south Belfast, Chief Inspector Gabriel Moran said: "The PSNI are committed to working with football clubs to help ensure that the environment at sporting engagements is one which can be enjoyed by everyone. Specific legislation was introduced in relation to football grounds that provides a mechanism for officers to tackle behaviour that is unacceptable and which is anti-social.

"Officers will use this legislation to help create a safer environment for all."

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz