Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 4 October 2015

Film fans sign petition calling for Ben Affleck to be dropped as Batman

Over 50,000 disgruntled fans voice opposition to his new role

By Nick Renaud-Komiya

Published 25/08/2013

Ben Affleck is to star as Batman in Man of Steel sequel
Ben Affleck is to star as Batman in Man of Steel sequel
Ben Affleck
Ben Affleck

Oscar-winner Ben Affleck may be hunting for some good will after more than 51,000 people signed an online petition pleading with studio bosses to prevent him from starring as Batman in an upcoming movie.

Signatories to the petition, which contends that Affleck “won’t do justice” to the role, have voiced their displeasure at the announcement from filmmakers last week that 41-year-old would be taking over from Briton Christian Bale, starring alongside Henry Cavill who will play Superman in the next Man of Steel movie.

Users of the site have said that Affleck’s acting skill is “not even close to being believable as Bruce Wayne,“ Sky News reports.

Film bosses promised that he would bring a “new dimension to the duality of this character”.

The creator of the petition, John Roden, said he respected Affleck's work but felt he was “inappropriate for the role”.

One Batman fan appeared less than impressed with the actor’s last stint playing a superhero, writing, “His portrayal of Daredevil was atrocious and he's not remotely close to an action star. Please find someone else.”

Bale is understood to have turned down a lucrative offer to play the superhero for a fourth time.

The sequel to Superman revival Man Of Steel, which is due to hit screens in 2015, will see the two superheroes facing off against each other, according to director Zack Snyder.

In 2006 Affleck said that his starring role in the poorly received comic book superhero movie Daredevil had “inoculated” him from ever playing another superhero.

Other big names to have played Batman on the big screen include Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton and George Clooney.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

Comments posted this week will only be visible until Saturday Oct 3 and will not be available to view after that date. This is due to essential upgrade work on our content management system and we apologise for any inconvenience.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph