Sean Connery won't be appearing in court over an investigation into a real estate deal in southern Spain.
The judge had requested for the Bond actor to attend the hearing, involving an investigation into a beachfront mansion near Marbella that the star used to own which was allegedly illegally re-zoned to allow condominiums to be built.
The official said the 72-year-old sent a letter explaining he cannot travel to Spain because of his age and unspecified health issues.
Sean and wife Micheline Roquebrune had been summoned to testify on Friday.
They have not been charged with a crime in the affair known in Spain as the Goldfinger Case.
The official said the magistrate will decide next week how to proceed.
The magistrate could send Spanish officials to question Sir Sean personally, the official said, although he did not know where the actor is now. He owns a home in the Bahamas.
The official declined to give details of the case but Spanish news reports say the judge is probing possible tax evasion in the land project.
For 20 years Sir Sean spent holidays at his lavish property, Malibu, before selling it in 1998.