Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Edgar Wright explains Ant-Man delay

Published 07/02/2013

Edgar Wright is expected to release Ant-Man in 2015
Edgar Wright is expected to release Ant-Man in 2015

Edgar Wright has revealed why it has taken so long for his Ant-Man film to get made - because he wanted to focus on other movies first.

The Shaun Of The Dead writer and director explained that he wanted to make Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and complete his Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost first before beginning the film of the Marvel Comics superhero.

"I think people have always assumed 'Oh why is it taking so long to make?' Part of it is because I wanted to make two other movies first," he told IGN.

"I wanted to make The World's End. Me and Simon were very keen to make it and it felt like it was unfinished business and we wanted to wrap up the trilogy. The script came together really fast," he added.

Edgar has been working on the script with Attack The Block's Joe Cornish for the past few years, and showed a test reel for the film at Comic-Con last year. Ant-Man is expected to be released in November 2015.

"It's a way of doing a superhero film within another genre. I wanted to tell an origin tale in a slightly different way. It's part of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it also feels like its own piece," he continued.

The filmmaker admitted that the delay may have given him an advantage because he has more experience with visual effects now.

"To be honest, the later I do it, it feels like I could learn more, especially about special effects. It's a big effects movie, so I'm pleased to go into it having done Scott Pilgrim and The World's End because you're always learning more about that side," he said.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph