Fans protest for Borgias' return
The Borgias could return as a film - if there is enough funding, TV boss David Nevins has hinted.
The historical drama, which starred Jeremy Irons, Holliday Grainger and Francois Arnaud as members of the Borgia dynasty, was cancelled by US network Showtime after three series.
Creator Neil Jordan has said that the show, which began in 2011, was meant to run for four seasons to parallel its predecessor The Tudors and he wanted to end the saga with a movie, but this proved to be infeasible.
"You can't do it all. I would love to do the final two-hour movie, but you have to marshal your resources and put it behind things that you think have future growth," the Showtime entertainment president told The Hollywood Reporter.
He added: "Kickstarter seems to be the financing mode du jour," referring to the crowd-funding website.
Fans have started a Twitter and online campaign to bring back the show, and even hired a plane to fly a banner over the Beverly Hilton, where the Television Critics Association's summer press tour was taking place, with a message to save their favourite programme.
"I get a lot of emails from fans in Romania, Italy and Croatia, disappointed about The Borgias," David said.
Neil has previously spoken of his disappointment over the axe of The Borgias, which had its epic finale in America on June 16.
"I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn't continue, and so was I," he said.
The Borgias continues its run on UK screens on Sky Atlantic.