Belfast Telegraph

Friday 31 July 2015

Game of Thrones commissioned for second series

By Maureen Coleman

Published 20/04/2011 | 02:54

The epic series Game of Thrones boasts a stellar cast including Sean Bean and Emilia Clarke
The epic series Game of Thrones boasts a stellar cast including Sean Bean and Emilia Clarke
Emilia Clarke plays the exiled teenage Princess Daenerys Targaryen
The title 'Game of Thrones' is from the first novel in the series.
Actor Emilia Clarke speaks during the 'Game of Thrones' panel at the HBO portion of the 2011 Winter TCA press tour
Sean Bean is on the cast of new HBO series Game Of Thrones
Sean Bean playing Eddard Stark in the HBO production of Game of Thrones, which created 800 jobs in Northern Ireland
Mark Addy says Game Of Thrones is not for kids

Game of Thrones has been commissioned for a second series after just one episode, it has been confirmed.

The fantasy series, filmed mostly in Northern Ireland, premiered in the US on Sunday night to an audience of 2.2m, followed by its UK launch on Sky Atlantic HD Monday night.

A spokeswoman for Northern Ireland Screen said it was “working hard” to bring the big budget production back to the province.

Game of Thrones, based on author George RR Martin's best-selling series of novels A Song of Ice and Fire, was shot on location at the Paint Hall studio in Belfast and in counties Antrim and Down last year.

It is understood it created around 800 local jobs and boosted the economy by £20m.

The story centres on the violent dynastic struggles of noble families on the continent of Westeros, looking to seek control of the Iron Throne.

It stars Sean Bean as Lord of Winterfell Eddard Stark, Peter Dinklage, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-waldau and local actress Michelle Fairley.

A spokeswoman for HBO confirmed Game of Thrones would return for a second season. However it is not yet know when production on the new episodes will begin.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph