Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Husband of Marion Cotillard hits out at press over Brad Pitt link

Published 24/09/2016

Marion Cotillard and her husband reacted with dismay to the reports
Marion Cotillard and her husband reacted with dismay to the reports

The husband of Oscar-winning actress Marion Cotillard has hit out at rumours his wife was romantically entangled with Brad Pitt.

The French star, 40, was dragged into Angelina Jolie and Pitt's divorce, when reports claimed she and Pitt had an affair while filming upcoming Second World War drama Allied.

Cotillard has already responded to the rumours, confirming she is expecting her second child with French actor and director Guillaume Canet.

The couple already have a five-year-old son, Marcel.

Now Canet has also addressed the rumours, hitting out at the "venal stupidity" of the rumours.

He wrote in French on Instagram: " I do not usually comment on rumours about us ... I do not usually talk about my private life, which until now I have always carefully protected ... But the fury of the tabloids, the venal stupidity of some people calling themselves journalists, the hatred of some users feeling stronger behind a keyboard, push me to speak of the pride, the love, respect and admiration I have for Marion, for staying so strong and intelligent in the face all these stupid and unfounded accusations.

"I think we're all living with much more important things at the moment and now it is time to move on and raise the bar a bit.

"Even if that is a lot of work for some people, I want to be positive. And as Marion said, I hope you become better and aspire to something else in your life other than constantly coming out with shit!"

The La Vie En Rose star previously said she had to "speak up" as rumours had been "spiralling and affecting people I love".

She wished Jolie, 41, and Pitt, 52, "peace in this very tumultuous moment".

"This is going to be my first and only reaction to the whirlwind news that broke 24 hours ago and that I was swept up into," Cotillard wrote.

"I am not used to commenting on things like this nor taking them seriously but as this situation is spiralling and affecting people I love, I have to speak up.

"Firstly, many years ago, I met the man of my life, father of our son and of the baby we are expecting. He is my love, my best friend, the only one that I need.

"Secondly to those who have indicated that I am devastated, I am very well thank you. This crafted conversation isn't distressing.

"And to all the media and the haters who are quick to pass judgment, I sincerely wish you a swift recovery."

Jolie filed for divorce from Pitt on Monday, citing irreconcilable differences and has asked for physical custody of the couple's six children.

It has since emerged t he FBI is considering an investigation into an alleged altercation between Pitt and one of his children on a private plane.

According to reports, Pitt had been drinking at the time of the incident and several media outlets, using anonymous sources, have reported that the Ocean's Eleven star is under investigation by a child welfare agency after allegedly clashing with one of his children, reportedly his adopted 15-year-old son Maddox.

In a statement, the FBI said allegations involving an "aircraft carrying Mr Brad Pitt and his children" had been referred to the agency.

Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services has said it cannot confirm or deny whether it is investigating Pitt.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph