Belfast Telegraph

'I wasn’t pushed from Channel 5, I jumped‘, says Arsenal legend Ian Wright

Former England soccer star Ian Wright has insisted that he quit his role on Channel Five's evening discussion show — and said working on it was “a nightmare”.

The presenter – who was absent for Thursday night's edition of Live From Studio Five — said there had been a fortnight of rows since the station was taken over.

Station bosses said Wright's contract had not been renewed but the outgoing host said he had walked away.

He said he was unhappy about changes in format and a shorter running time since the company was taken over by Northern & Shell in a £103.5m deal.

The station's chief executive, Dawn Airey, and other senior figures are to leave in the next few months following the acquisition by publisher Richard Desmond.

Wright said: “It's just been arguments for the last couple of weeks. We came to the decision yesterday that it's not going to go any further, instead of renewing I just said ‘well let's just leave it'.”

A Channel Five spokesman said: “Ian Wright's contract on Live From Studio Five was coming to an end and the decision was taken not to renew it.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph