JJ Abrams to direct next Star Wars
Walt Disney has confirmed reports that JJ Abrams, the Emmy-award-winning creator of TV's Lost and director of 2009's Star Trek movie, has been pegged to direct the seventh instalment of the Star Wars franchise.
"JJ is the perfect director to helm this," said Kathleen Kennedy, the movie's producer and president of Lucasfilm, which was acquired by Disney last month for 4.06 billion US dollars.
"Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience," she said in the statement.
The movie will have a script from Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt and a 2015 release.
Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in the original trilogy, will work as a consultant on the new project.
Abrams has already headed the reboot of another storied space franchise, Star Trek, for rival studio Paramount Pictures. The next instalment in that series, Star Trek: Into Darkness, is set to hit US cinemas on May 17.
But he has long been known as a Star Wars devotee. Abrams spoke about the plot of the original Star Wars in the lecture series TED Talks in March 2007, and reportedly became enamoured of Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof partly because Lindelof was wearing a Star Wars T-shirt when they first met.
In 2009, Abrams told the Los Angeles Times: "As a kid, 'Star Wars' was much more my thing than 'Star Trek' was."
In Friday night's statement he called it an "absolute honour" to get the job.
"I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid," Abrams said.