Belfast Telegraph

More contestants axed from Cowell’s 'Red Or Black?' show as checks tightened

By Anthony Barnes

ITV bosses have axed yet another contestant from £1m gameshow Red Or Black? after finding “inconsistencies” during a background check.

The contestant was pulled from last night's show, hours after two other players were ditched from forthcoming programmes.

Show chiefs tightened their checks in the wake of the uproar surrounding the award of the top prize to a man who was reportedly jailed for beating up a woman.

Programme chiefs announced on Tuesday that they were reviewing those who made it to the final stages of the show.

So far three contestants, each from different editions, have been axed to avoid further problems.

The editions will continue to go ahead, but three of the four programmes use seven contestants instead of eight.

Nathan Hageman (31) won the first £1m prize on Simon Cowell's new entertainment show, but concern grew after it emerged he had a violent past.

The bricklayer was initially reported to have been jailed for attacking a man but it has been disclosed he attacked a woman, thought to be his ex-girlfriend. When the show was launched in May, presenter Ant McPartlin said there would be checks in place to ensure winners were “not going to be criminals”.

Last night’s contestant was dropped because of “inconsistencies” during checks, a source said.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph