Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 1 August 2015

Russell Brand’s no regrets over phone prank

Published 01/12/2009 | 07:09

Russell Brand
Russell Brand

Russell Brand says he would have done nothing differently over prank calls he and Jonathan Ross made to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs — saying the scandal “worked out really well”.

Brand quit his Radio 2 show, which broadcast the lewd remarks, and Ross was suspended for three months.

The incident in October last year sparked more than 40,000 complaints and a clampdown on BBC rules.

In April Ofcom fined the BBC £150,000 over the lewd phone calls, describing them as “gratuitously offensive, humiliating and demeaning”.

Brand told New! magazine things might have turned out differently if Sachs had answered his calls — “It isn't that hard to pick up a phone.”

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph