Bon Jovi reveals pain over daughter
Published 20/05/2013 | 11:56
Jon Bon Jovi has spoken out about the pain he felt on learning his daughter had suffered a heroin overdose.
The star's 19-year-old daughter Stephanie Bongiovi was taken to hospital after overdosing in a dormitory at her college in New York in November.
The rock star told The Daily Mirror he learned what had happened when his teenage daughter called him at 2am from hospital to tell him.
Bon Jovi, a father of four, said: "It was horrible, a horrible moment. It was my worst moment as a father.
"The first thing she said, I'm all right but then she said this is what happened. You wake up, you shake it off and put your shoes on and say OK, I am on the way home."
The 51-year-old singer added: "I feel it was a terrible tragic lesson of life but I thank God every day because she is whole. It happened and it has gone. I know personally people whose sons and daughters, where it was a lot, lot worse. That could have been Stephanie."
Bon Jovi insisted his daughter is not a drug addict, but had succumbed to peer pressure.
He said: "She was by no means sticking needles in her arms. But there's a lot of synthetic stuff in the world and a lot of temptation and access and pressures that just a generation ago you and I didn't know about.
"I wasn't aware of it, not because I'm not home but because it is a different world. Our world is far more relatable to our parents' world than the kids' world."