Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Chris Brown vents frustration over Philippines departure delay

Published 23/07/2015

Philippine Bureau of Immigration deputy spokeswoman Dana Mengote holds a copy of the immigration lookout bulletin for Grammy award-winning singer Chris Brown (AP)
Philippine Bureau of Immigration deputy spokeswoman Dana Mengote holds a copy of the immigration lookout bulletin for Grammy award-winning singer Chris Brown (AP)

Grammy award-winning singer Chris Brown has vented his frustration at being stuck in the Philippines for a second day after a politically powerful religious group filed a fraud complaint against him for a cancelled concert.

Brown is still in the country and has not applied for the emigration clearance he needs to leave Manila, Immigration Bureau spokeswoman Elaine Tan said.

The 26-year-old R&B singer was prevented from leaving on a private plane yesterday, a day after a packed concert in Manila.

In an expletive-laden video posted on Instagram, Brown clowns around, asking: "Can somebody please tell me what... is going on?

"I don't know, I'm reading headlines after headlines..." He then smiles as his companions laugh in the background.

In another video, Brown said that when he gets to customs he will say he did nothing wrong. He then breaks into dance as people laugh.

The videos were later apparently removed from Brown's Instagram account.

The dispute traces back to last New Year's Eve when Brown cancelled a concert at the 55,000-seat Philippine Arena north of Manila, which is operated by a corporation owned by the politically influential Iglesia ni Cristo religious group.

The 101-year-old group is believed to have more than a million members both in the Philippines and abroad and is known to vote as a block in a nation where politicians often seek endorsements from church leaders.

The organisers said they were told at the time by Brown's representative that the singer lost his passport and could not make it to the concert.

In a complaint, Maligaya Development Corp said Brown and his Canadian promoter, John Michael Pio Roda, backed out of the concert after they were paid in full for a 1 million US dollars (£641,000) contract.

MDC promoted the concert and sold tickets based on the guarantee that Brown would perform, the complaint alleged.

The religious group asked the Department of Justice for help in prosecuting Brown, although no charges have been filed.

Brown is being held while immigration officials consult with the Philippine Justice Department about the case, Ms Tan said.

A spokeswoman for Brown in the US, Nicole Perna, had earlier said the misunderstanding was resolved and the singer would continue with his planned performance in Hong Kong today.

A person who answered the phone at the Hong Kong venue said of tonight's performance: "He said he's coming."

The two cities are about 90 minutes flying time apart.

A concert scheduled for Saturday in Jakarta, Indonesia, has been cancelled due to safety concerns, according to Brown's Twitter account, but will be rescheduled.

E-Motion Entertainment said one reason for the cancellation was recent unrest in the Papua province of Indonesia.

In a third video posted at about midnight local time in Manila, Brown can be seen kneeling on the same patterned carpet as before and pleading: "Please, please, let us leave, please." He then does a back-flip.

In Hong Kong, tonight's concert is said to have been rescheduled - but the new date is as yet unconfirmed.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph