Derulo: I'm a brand new man now
Published 05/06/2013 | 11:17
Jason Derulo has revealed that his neck injury has given him a new perspective on life.
The It Girl singer broke a vertebra in his neck during rehearsals in January 2012, and has now returned to "100 per cent" after taking a year off to recover.
"The past four or five years have been a whirlwind and I feel like before my injury, it was me almost being on auto-pilot. It took me having this injury to wake me up and find this new energy, this new drive," he said.
"I think everything happens for a reason and I wouldn't trade that experience for the world because it really propelled this new me. I've grown up a lot as a man and in turn, that has helped me to grow a lot as an artist. I feel more confident, more refined than ever in my life. I feel more comfortable in my skin than I ever have. I feel like I'm in a really good place."
Jason - who is dating singer Jordin Sparks - admitted he has put the brakes on his partying lifestyle as he focuses on his third album, which is due in September.
"I'm 100 per cent now. It was a long recovery but I'm better than ever. I just really focused on the things that I love and take those things to new heights, and that's because of what I went through," said the 23-year-old.
"I remember walking around like a zombie in the airport because I had been drinking all night, and that was a recurring thing. I was on this crazy auto-pilot and I was just going through the motions so I'm in a really good place now because of everything that has happened."
:: Jason's new single The Other Side is out on June 10.