Belfast Telegraph

Kanye slot divides Glastonbury fans

Kanye West's headline slot at Glastonbury has angered some fans of the famous festival - who have launched a petition.

The rapper has been confirmed as one of this summer's headline acts.

He follows in the footsteps of fellow hip-hop superstar Jay Z, whose Saturday night slot in 2008 caused huge controversy before it was deemed a big success.

Now a petition has been launched in an attempt to derail plans by organisers for the US star to perform.

"Kanye West is an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend Glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment," the change.org petition, which has so far attracted over 1,100 supporters, says.

"Let's prevent this musical injustice now!"

West recently took to the stage to debut new track All Day at the Brits but his performance - much of it muted out by ITV - left many viewers disappointed.

Emily Eavis, daughter of the festival's founder Michael, revealed on Twitter on Monday night that the rap superstar will top the Saturday bill at Glastonbury in June.

But Adam Tingley wrote on the petition website: "If he can't even get the Brits right, how will he manage to pull in the crowds at the world's greatest music festival?!?"

Alice McCready added: " Kanye's rap image is not in keeping with the festival's concepts. His lyrics are at times offensive".

Others were more supportive.

Barnye Hunter wrote on Twitter: " I love Glastonbury because the line up is so diverse and oh my how dare they let something other than an old white rock band headline!"

And Kayleigh Quinn said: "No specific genre owns Glastonbury. There's more than one stage. Get over yourself."

The announcement came shortly after West tweeted a series of nude pictures of his wife, socialite Kim Kardashian.

Eavis tweeted: "We are thrilled to let you know we have the one and only Kanye West headlining Saturday night on the Pyramid Stage!"

Foo Fighters will headline the Pyramid Stage on the Friday, making their first appearance at the Somerset festival since 1998.

The petition later notched up over 13,400 signatures.

Sunday night's headliner is yet to be announced.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph