Oasis top poll for best song of all time
Squabbling chart stars Oasis may have reached the end of the road following the departure of Noel Gallagher — but they can take comfort from one of their early singles being named the greatest song of all time today.
Their 1994 track Live Forever — only their third single — topped a poll of music fans, with three of their songs figuring in the top four.
Don't Look Back In Anger was placed third and Wonderwall came fourth in the international poll in which listeners were asked to choose the best tracks ever, with the countdown broadcast by radio station Xfm last night.
The poll was good was news for Mancunian acts which dominated the list.
As well as Oasis, the list features Joy Division, The Stones Roses and The Smiths while The Verve, from nearby Wigan, are also placed in the top 10.
The Killers’ single Mr Brightside was number two in the vote.
The Top 10 was as follows:
1. Live Forever — Oasis
2. Mr Brightside — The Killers
3. Don't Look Back In Anger — Oasis
4. Wonderwall — Oasis
5. Love Will Tear Us Apart — Joy Division
6. I Am The Resurrection — The Stone Roses
7. Smells Like Teen Spirit — |Nirvana
8. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out — The Smiths
9. Bitter Sweet Symphony — The Verve
10. Plug In Baby — Muse