Prince’s €2.2m bill for cancelled Dublin concert
Published 29/03/2010 | 06:05
Prince will have to cough up €2.2m (£1.98m) over his cancelled Irish gig in Croke Park after he failed to honour his side of a legal settlement reached last month.
Promoters MCD have vowed to pursue the singer for the sum, saying it was “very disappointed” about the star's lack of action. The concert promoters obtained a €2.2m judgment order against Prince after the Commercial Court heard that his lawyers were not opposing it. The case was due before the court yesterday for implementation of the settlement, which was agreed on confidential terms after a four-day hearing.
However, Maurice Collins, for MCD, said it was now necessary to make an order for judgment for €2.2m, inclusive of costs.
Mr Collins also said his client might, if necessary, take steps to enforce the judgment via a European Enforcement Order.
MCD had brought its action against Prince Rogers Nelson, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and William Morris Entertainment Endeavour (WMEE), of Beverly Hills, California, over the cancellation of the concert set for Croke Park on June 16, 2008.
Yesterday's judgment order is only against Prince and the action against WMEE was struck out.
MCD had claimed it only learned of the cancellation less than two weeks before the concert was due to take place.