Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Zayn Malik cancels Graham Norton show appearance, first TV interview since One Direction split

Published 27/01/2016

Zayn Malik quit One Direction in March last year
Zayn Malik quit One Direction in March last year

Zayn Malik has pulled out of his first TV interview since his split from One Direction.

The singer, who quit the boyband in March, was scheduled to be interviewed by UK presenter Graham Norton about his new music on Friday, to coincide with the premiere of his debut solo single Pillowtalk.

The interview was reportedly due to record in London on Thursday evening but the pop star has scrapped his chat to continue work on his album, which is due for release in the spring.

His spokesperson told Digitalspy.com, "Unfortunately there was a scheduling conflict as Zayn is currently in the studio completing his album​."

The pop star has discussed his split from the group and their current relationship in magazine interviews in recent months, but his appearance on The Graham Norton Show would have been his first solo TV chat.

He recently told Britain's Culture magazine that Pillowtalk was about sex, saying, "I think I'm pretty black and white about what it's about. Everybody has sex, and it's something people want to hear about. It's part of everybody's life, a very big part of life! And you don't want to sweep it under the carpet. It has to be talked about."

During that interview, Zayn revealed he prefers to date famous women, such as his ex-fiancee Perrie Edwards and rumoured current girlfriend Gigi Hadid, because he can "skip the explanation phase".

He says, "There's no real trust issues in a sense - like, 'Is this person gonna record me while I'm taking a p**s?'... It's just life. The situations that I'm in grant me to be around them sort of people, you know what I mean? And luckily, you get to have a conversation with them sort of people. Because there's a lot of fit celebrity birds."

Online Editors

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph