Actor Liam Neeson fires off volley over water charges
Hollywood actor Liam Neeson has revealed he has reconsidered plans to move home to Ireland since the Republic introduced new water charges.
The 62-year-old Taken star, who hails from Co Antrim but has lived in New York for 20 years, said he had planned to return to Ireland now his two teenage sons Daniel and Michael had left home for university.
However, speaking to the Irish Sun, Neeson said he had changed his mind due to the austerity measures implemented by the Irish Government.
"We've been f****d from a great height by these bankers and it's the final straw," he said.
"To tax people for their water. Just wrong.
"I've always thought about coming home, especially now with my empty nest, but this is just insulting. It turns me completely off.
"I just think: 'Come on, don't f****** insult the Irish people any more'. It's terrible.
"I really hope the government is doing something about it now and listening to the people and finding a solution.
"They f****** better listen to the opposition."
However, Neeson needn't be concerned about coming back to his native town of Ballymena if he is concerned about water charges.
Stormont has so far shied away from introducing the levy, with the two largest parties - DUP and Sinn Fein - strongly opposed to them.
Neeson, whose wife Natasha Richardson passed away after a skiing accident in 2009, will return to the big screen in the New Year as Agent Brian Mills in the third instalment in the Taken action series.
He had previously said he would not film another Taken film but was persuaded when French writer Luc Besson came up with an original script, which Neeson described as "a perfect continuation and one I couldn't say no to".
He said the role made up for the Oscar-nominated star missing out on playing James Bond to Pierce Brosnan.
Taken 3 hits the big screen on January 8.