Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Amanda Knox rejects 'monster' tag as she unveils documentary on court ordeal

Published 29/09/2016

Amanda Knox said the prosecutors wanted to make the case about her rather than Meredith Kercher
Amanda Knox said the prosecutors wanted to make the case about her rather than Meredith Kercher

Amanda Knox has insisted she is not a "terrible monster" as she promoted a new Netflix documentary which explores the Meredith Kercher murder case.

Knox was convicted and imprisoned with Raffaele Sollecito for the 2007 murder of Miss Kercher, a 21-year-old student from Surrey, but after appeals and retrials they were acquitted last year by Italy's highest court.

She is now the subject of a documentary, entitled Amanda Knox, which features interviews with her ex-boyfriend Sollecito and Italian prosecutor Giuliano Mignini.

Appearing on US television show Good Morning America, Knox, 29, said she wanted to be involved in the film to show the "nightmare" she had been through.

"I think I'm trying to explain what it feels like to be wrongfully convicted - to either be this terrible monster or to be this regular person who is vulnerable," she said.

"What I'm trying to convey is that a regular person like me - just a kid who was studying abroad, who loves languages - could be caught up in this nightmare where they're portrayed as something that they're not.

"There remains the fact that I'm in a unique position as an exoneree. Once an exoneree always an exoneree. I can't go back to my life that I had before, and neither can the other exonerees that are out there."

Knox, who says she was not paid to be involved in the documentary, said the prosecutor's focus on her meant Miss Kercher had been "lost" in the case.

She said: "For (Miss Kercher's family) that's never going to end and that's the really sad part about this tragedy.

"As soon as the prosecutor made this about 'it has to be Amanda, it has to be Amanda', they took away the fact this case is about her.

"She's been lost in all of that. But that doesn't change the fact that we have also an obligation to everyone who could potentially be innocent to find out the truth for the sake of the victim, and for the sake of them as well."

The documentary Amanda Knox will be available on Netflix from Friday September 30.

Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, meanwhile, told BBC Newsnight that he needed to rebuild his image before he could rebuild his life.

He said: "People never understood the truth about this case. They never knew about us.

"The victim is Meredith Kercher, but there are other two victims who are alive."

Sollecito also said it was "ridiculous" that he was protecting Knox out of a sense of loyalty, given the couple had only been together for a few days when Miss Kercher was killed.

"After five days, I didn't know her, so why should I be loyal to her," he said.

He said he and Knox now have "a good relationship", adding: "We don't talk too much because we are very distant, and we are caring about our lives."

Sollecito is now seeking compensation for his legal fees, which he says have cost his family more than 1 million dollars (£771,000).

He said: "I don't think about my future, my life, any more.

"I just think about what I have to do next month. For me, whatever happens after next month, even the world can be destroyed, but I don't think about next year or anything."

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph